I'll start this off with one of my favorite recent pieces. I was inspired by a piece that Purified Bill did called the Man O War. What I wanted to do was something that had the feel of a jelly fish and water without copying Bill's piece.
At this point I will confess that most of my art is process driven in that I don't have a clear end vision or precise design in mind that I require myself to fulfill. It is almost like the materials tell me what they want to be . . . I am driven by the inner voice directing me to take this piece of metal and cut, bend, melt, hammer, twist etc. step after step till the end goal appears and I finish.
I wish I had originated the idea of making the back something interesting and unexpected that only the wearer would be aware of. I don't know who to give credit to. I love the dots that originated as bubbles but when I finished somehow for me they had transformed into rain. While I can see the impression of a jelly fish surrounded with bubbles, when I finished I felt that I had created something quite different. It reminded me of aboriginal art or petroglyphs that might represent a Thunderstorm so I named it the Rainmaker. The Sun over the cloud on the back did not come till time to set the malachite stone and just confirmed for me it is the Rainmaker. Now if it would just work!

No comments:
Post a Comment